Wednesday, August 22

What If? - Privileged Speech 1

It is a very hypothetical question and doesn't count any point at all in any forms of debate. It could easily be tappled down by answering back a "What if not" question. It is the question one very pessimistic person who doesn't have any other stand in this world but to be an opposition would raise.

I could remember way back in high school that I used to have difficulty in solving word problems. I know the answer but I don't know how to assign the variables to make an equation. But it was an advantage for the team in the Math Olympiad because I immediately knew the correct answer without my teammates using their pen to start calculating for it.

Same goes with the presentations. I could already have a clear picture of how the final work would look like. Perhaps, it is because it is really how artists work (Based on a Humanities book, Michaelangelo knows how his sculptures would finally look like before he starts working with his chisel). Problem is, being a scatterbrained, I always don't know where to begin.

But with that difficulty, the final work is still done. Though most of the time, it's not really something that I wanted it to be, at least, I'm happy that it's closer to what I want it and that our teachers are pleased with the outcome. Modesty aside, our group would always emerge as the best one when it comes to presenting our reports. It is because I choose to take charge of almost everything - from the concept, to the script, to the props, even to the costumes at some point.

My classmates know me well that I always get what I want when it comes to presentations. If my idea won't win, things won't be as good as expected. It is because it is my forte. Call me somebody who's tooting my own horn. But at least, I know my capacity.

And now, a strong force of negativity is testing me. A series of "what if" questions have been raised. Honestly, I feel so disappointed with these people, who I've been expecting to be the first to cooperate since they have the same range of intellect as mine. I'm counting a lot on them to make all these ideas into reality. I just thought that after years of having been graduated from high school, we've already grown up. I believe that with chronological age, being mature mentally also comes with it. But then I'm wrong. They really let me down.

But knowing me, I don't give up. If Group A can't do it, then there's Group Z. They might not be gifted with big brains as the others but they have the will to embrace the responsibility, the courage to take the risk of committing mistakes and of being criticized for being imperfect.

Personally, being so pessimistic about all things without even attempting to take a single step in achieving it is plainly cowardice. It's just having no sense of responsibility at all.

What if's are silly questions to be asked. Being realistic is, in fact, good but adding optimism to it would make it better.

Shedding off the last piece of responsibility from one's system will resolve nothing. Everything is a risk that we have to take. If others were able to do it, why can't we? Everything in this world is a challenge.

With this, ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case and I am now ready for interpellation.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Some speech!

    It just lifted me up, Duard! nakurat ko! hehe. I'm glad im in your team! And we can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind.

You need to have a name and an email address or a valid URL so I would approve your comment. I don't respect anonymity.