Sunday, April 16

Ginataang Halu-halo


Visayan term - binignit
Maranao/Cagayanon/Iliganon term - tabirak
Ilonggo - lugaw
English term - still to be discovered.
Note: Remember that looks would often be deceiving. Food tastes a lot better than how it looks. I'm not good at presentation.


Ingredients:
gabi, cut into cubes
camote, cut into cubes
monggo beans
malagkit
langka, cut into strips
sago
landang
saging na saba
bilo-bilo (ground wet malagkit, formed into small balls)
coconut milk
white sugar
vanilla extract
water

Procedure:
1. Separately soak the malagkit, monggo beans and landang in water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Boil the malagkit and monggo beans until tender.
3. Add in the gabi and camote. Constantly stir the mixture to prevent the ingredients from sticking. Keep the fire to low heat.
4. Add in the banana and bilo-bilo.
5. Add some amount of water to lessen the consistency.
6. Put in some sugar to taste.
7. Mix the landang.
8. Slowly add the coconut milk while stirring the mixture.
9. Constantly stir for about 5 minutes under low fire.
10. Remove the pot from the stove and add vanilla and langka strips.

Tips:
1. Keep mixing the ingredients to prevent them from sticking on the bottom.
2. Always keep fire to low.
3. Only add the vanilla when stove is turned off to prevent excessive evaporation, thus, losing its aroma and taste.

A frustrated cook's note:
I normally don't measure the ingredients as I think that I only do that in a chemical laboratory. Cooking must be done with fun and not with strict application of Science.

1 comment:

Speak your mind.

You need to have a name and an email address or a valid URL so I would approve your comment. I don't respect anonymity.