My friends tell me that even if I don't speak, my mere presence alone is already a huge pressure. I am aware of that. I think it's because of my strong personality and superiority. Add it with my overwhelming perfectionism.
This morning, we had another meeting with our Toastmasters club. Four were scheduled to deliver our speeches that includes our president and I. Unfortunately, the icebreaker speaker backed out and the other speaker had to fill in the GE role vacated by the supposed general evaluator but had to prioritize her in-laws who are in the hospital. With almost 10 expected guests, none of them showed up which was a bummer. But there were eight members, and one newly signed up member attended. Since only two of us were supposed to deliver our speeches and no guests were around, I posed a challenge to the other members - to deliver their basic speeches off the cuff. Karen, willfully took the challenge. Noel relied on Karen so when she said yes, he also said yes. Angie said she had a hard time thinking of a nice topic so I suggested things like associating Chemistry (her course in college) with her job or meeting people, her job itself, or perhaps talking about her 21-inch waistline (figures were just made up). Then they started scribbling their pens.
Dante stepped in the venue and took the challenge as well. So that made the meeting filled with "prepared" speakers. I delivered my speech for ALB, Cameron delivered his first advanced speech, and four members delivered their third, fourth, fifth and sixth basic speeches. That was really fun! What made it amazing was that their speeches sounded more prepared than those who I've heard delivered their "prepared" speeches.
I would like to congratulate everyone for having the courage. I also like to congratulate myself for being effective in my first job as a newly appointed VP Education (same position as Cris') in encouraging everybody to progress with their manual. Indeed, it was a meeting of thanksgiving.
This morning, we had another meeting with our Toastmasters club. Four were scheduled to deliver our speeches that includes our president and I. Unfortunately, the icebreaker speaker backed out and the other speaker had to fill in the GE role vacated by the supposed general evaluator but had to prioritize her in-laws who are in the hospital. With almost 10 expected guests, none of them showed up which was a bummer. But there were eight members, and one newly signed up member attended. Since only two of us were supposed to deliver our speeches and no guests were around, I posed a challenge to the other members - to deliver their basic speeches off the cuff. Karen, willfully took the challenge. Noel relied on Karen so when she said yes, he also said yes. Angie said she had a hard time thinking of a nice topic so I suggested things like associating Chemistry (her course in college) with her job or meeting people, her job itself, or perhaps talking about her 21-inch waistline (figures were just made up). Then they started scribbling their pens.
Dante stepped in the venue and took the challenge as well. So that made the meeting filled with "prepared" speakers. I delivered my speech for ALB, Cameron delivered his first advanced speech, and four members delivered their third, fourth, fifth and sixth basic speeches. That was really fun! What made it amazing was that their speeches sounded more prepared than those who I've heard delivered their "prepared" speeches.
I would like to congratulate everyone for having the courage. I also like to congratulate myself for being effective in my first job as a newly appointed VP Education (same position as Cris') in encouraging everybody to progress with their manual. Indeed, it was a meeting of thanksgiving.
Hey!congrats!It seems that this time your presence and the pressure coming from you makes the best come out of people,hehehe!Wish I saw it happen,lol!
ReplyDelete