William Baldwin: What is the one big mistake that you did in your life? And what did you do to make it right?
Venus Raj: In my 22 years of existence, there is nothing major, major problem that I have done in my life. Because I am very confident with my family and the love they are giving to me. So thank you so much.
I wasn't really impressed with her answer. Among those questions given, this is the easiest one because it's something that could be drawn from a personal experience, from the heart, from something that one has felt. Unfortunately, our candidate failed to nail it. The moment I heard her answer the question, I already had accepted that she won't be the queen but I still hoped that she would win.What happened these past two days have been a rollercoaster ride to us, Filipinos. Yesterday was a drama full of shit by this police officer who was so foolish by taking some foreigners as hostage. He could have just climbed on top of a billboard or perhaps use those useless craps called squatters as hostages. Add it with his brother and the latter's daughter who were successful enough in taking the limelight and took advantage of their much-awaited exposure. It's just a shame that a fault of one Filipino taints the entire nation. I also think that some of those shots were from stray bullets caused by the lack of skill of these so-called snipers.
This morning, I was able to watch the pageant real-time as it was broadcast via the internet. Thanks to the world-wide web that I didn't have to watch ABS-CBN and be drowned by numerous advertisements. Honestly, I started being pessimistic when the 10 semi-finalists were called. But when our country was announced as the 15th semifinalist, tension built up in me. Swimsuit and gown rounds followed. Philippines made through to the top five.
Then the question and answer. The so dreaded round that people, especially Filipinos are eying on, being too critical with the content, grammar and pronunciation.
If she answered that in a Toastmasters meeting, I'd say that there isn't any correct nor wrong answer anyway. But there is a wrong comprehension of the question. I commend her for standing there with utmost grace, poise and elegance. I didn't feel the nervousness in her face. I like the timbre of her voice. It could have been better had she really analyzed the question more. She could have played with it in a way that she won't sound self-righteous and that her answer won't be more of a series of greetings. She could have just answered it right away by saying that she couldn't have been where she is right now had she not been able to commit those mistakes. Or perhaps cite one mistake and then turn it around by seeing the lesson from that experience because after all, there are no mistakes in life, only lessons learned. Nevertheless, she made us proud as Filipinos. Advancing to top 15 is no easy feat walking in high heels, skimpy two-piece swimsuits and that hideous silver huge gown that might get attracted to a magnet. She has somehow slightly redeemed the bad image that we created yesterday. And I salute you for your "Major, major" performance.
As for those bashers who keep on saying that "Sayang" or that Venus is so stupid, you better shut up. It's not easy to be on stage. Had it been you who were up there, you won't even qualify for the top 15 so better be happy for her. At least she sort of redeemed us from the shame that we've gone through yesterday.
The "Major, major" thing isn't stupid. Not even foolish. Ignorance must have told those people that such expression sounds so lame but no. If you mean what you say, utter it twice. I say "Thank you, thank you" when I really mean it. Only sensitive people appreciate that.
Thank you Venus! You've really really got it.
YAY FOR VENUS! Agree! It's tough to be on stage.X) but she did well!!woohoo! but yeah, sayang lang why she had to be self-righteous and all :S But! Major major has been a good thing.at least most of us has forgotten how painful the previous event was.X(
ReplyDelete