Lee Dae Hae and her video had been passed around by Filipinos last week just like some hot scandal that [almost] everybody had been wanting to see it. But instead of drooling on the said medium, our co-Pinoys watched it and reacted violently, expressing their disgust and rage against the Korean actress.
Having the mind of a curious gossiper, I watched it and just like some apathetic individual, I wasn't offended at it even though the subtitle deliberately stated Philippines. Maybe it's because I don't understand Korean or I haven't heard the word "Philippines" being uttered by the actress.
On my opinion, our reaction was way over the top. I think that we are so fond of blowing things out of proportion that things as petty as this are given full attention when our economic and political crises remain unresolved. I believe that before we should be reacting on issues like this, whether or not the statement is true (and I must say they are partly true), we should also examine ourselves if we've been nice to other people. We are so onion-skinned when our race is given negative attention when, in fact, we rudely give nasty remarks on some races with regard to their accents, their smell and even their physical appearance. True that what Alec Baldwin's statement about mail-to-order brides was a false generalization but it is existing. Teri Hatcher's line in "Desperate Housewives" doubting the integrity of the doctor that he might be a product of some med school in our country might be offensive but undoubtedly, some schools in the Philippines are really substandard, not to mention that we could even get a college diploma along Recto.
I mean, come on. Philippines and Filipinos don't have a flat personality. We have our own negative sides and we're not expected to display an image of only those oh-so-great things because whether or not we admit it, we have our bad sides. In fact, we suck in a lot of things that's why we don't prosper as a country and we're stuck as one of the poorest ones in this world.
Most importantly, I've observed that we have a lot of free time passing on that video and talking about matters as irrelevant as this that won't even contribute to the development of our country. We better work our asses off and learn to just shake off things that won't help us as a country.
Having the mind of a curious gossiper, I watched it and just like some apathetic individual, I wasn't offended at it even though the subtitle deliberately stated Philippines. Maybe it's because I don't understand Korean or I haven't heard the word "Philippines" being uttered by the actress.
On my opinion, our reaction was way over the top. I think that we are so fond of blowing things out of proportion that things as petty as this are given full attention when our economic and political crises remain unresolved. I believe that before we should be reacting on issues like this, whether or not the statement is true (and I must say they are partly true), we should also examine ourselves if we've been nice to other people. We are so onion-skinned when our race is given negative attention when, in fact, we rudely give nasty remarks on some races with regard to their accents, their smell and even their physical appearance. True that what Alec Baldwin's statement about mail-to-order brides was a false generalization but it is existing. Teri Hatcher's line in "Desperate Housewives" doubting the integrity of the doctor that he might be a product of some med school in our country might be offensive but undoubtedly, some schools in the Philippines are really substandard, not to mention that we could even get a college diploma along Recto.
I mean, come on. Philippines and Filipinos don't have a flat personality. We have our own negative sides and we're not expected to display an image of only those oh-so-great things because whether or not we admit it, we have our bad sides. In fact, we suck in a lot of things that's why we don't prosper as a country and we're stuck as one of the poorest ones in this world.
Most importantly, I've observed that we have a lot of free time passing on that video and talking about matters as irrelevant as this that won't even contribute to the development of our country. We better work our asses off and learn to just shake off things that won't help us as a country.
-o0o-

Speaking of free time, I had a lot before I have this new job, which, hopefully, will be something that I could have for the rest of my life, or at least, will be something I could see myself growing. I want to become a trainer because I really believe that I can be a great one. Manning a team is definitely not my forte. Educating people is something that I could do and I could give the best in me.
Anyway, I'm still addicted to Zuma and until now, I'm still attempting to break my own record. Being able to finish the game is sheer bliss. You don't know how happy I was last week when I finally saw the message congratulating me. I've been attempting to finish this game fore more than two years and finally I'm done. Gusto kong magpaburger pero wala akong pera. At nagluto na ako ng ginataan so I think I'm done. Ha ha ha!
Anyway, I'm still addicted to Zuma and until now, I'm still attempting to break my own record. Being able to finish the game is sheer bliss. You don't know how happy I was last week when I finally saw the message congratulating me. I've been attempting to finish this game fore more than two years and finally I'm done. Gusto kong magpaburger pero wala akong pera. At nagluto na ako ng ginataan so I think I'm done. Ha ha ha!
What you wrote on your FB is correct. Filipinos are just so super hungry for recognition that we take offense at anything, no matter how small and petty it is, as long as it causes a "frenzy". Filipinos seem to think that if we are recognizable worldwide,respect automatically follows. We already have plenty of internationally recognizable personalities but still we are not respected as a country and as a nation. It is mainly because we ourselves do not respect our own country. We can't even keep our own streets clean or follow simple traffic rules, how can we expect to grow and be respected.
ReplyDelete