Yesterday, I spent the whole morning in the cemetery, cleaning and painting my father's tomb. It's my advance treat for him since i can't visit his grave on All Souls' Day.
What took most of my time was applying gold paint on his epitaph. It reminds me of my Humanities class way back in college. I've learned from Sir Pinili that this kind of printing is called intaglio, the opposite technique used in relief printing (e.g. rubber stamp). I should say I'm not good at it since my work was quite messy plus my back ached so much. I also don't have enough patience to do it but well, I've stretched it farther for my dad.
Going farther
Unlike other religions, we, Roman Catholics, celebrate All Souls Day. I personally believe that though these people are already dead, their spirits are still roaming around since the final judgment hasn't happened yet. I know that my father is always beside me. I even speak with him in my sleep and I feel his presence especially when I need him. With those numerous instances that I need help, I know he was there. I might have cried once in my sleep, telling him that he was so unfair in leaving me so early, and that I didn't have a father figure when I grew up, I'm still thankful that I could communicate with him in my dreams.
Everything happens for a reason, and I know that. His death had proved us so many things - that I have a mother who is more than willing to give up her life for all of us, that I have a sister who has sacrificed even her personal relationships for us, that we could survive even without the help of other relatives, that we are strong, that we are independent, that we are survivors.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Speak your mind.
You need to have a name and an email address or a valid URL so I would approve your comment. I don't respect anonymity.