I've got this message posted at the bulletin board of Friendster. I've already read this from the Philippine Daily Inquirer way back in first year college and even translated the whole article to Filipino, the language that didn't snob me in high school (I had tried my luck for a "The Narra" since first year and they snobbed me. Well, it's obvious.)
I've found out that I really am not a complete Filipino after all. It's originally 100 but now it's only 66. I could remember one of the missing things is "A straight guy could unabashedly put his arms around his guy friend while walking" and "You point something with the use of your lips."
I still have that clipping at home and I may post the rest someday.
Anyway, here's what it says:
You Know You're a FILIPINO When...
Your middle name is your mother's maiden name.
- TRUE for me. So is in the US. I've observed in Latin American countries that their mom's maiden name is written after their dad's.
Your parents call each other "Mommy" and "Daddy."
- FALSE. My mom calls my dad as "Bok," short for tambok (fat) even if he's not. He's just big. My dad calls my mom "Tit," short for Tita. They're not really sweet.
You have uncles and aunts named "Boy," "Girlie," or "Baby."
- TRUE. My dad's bro is named "Boy" but I haven't really met him.
You have relatives whose nicknames consist of repeated syllables like "Jun-Jun," "Ling-Ling," and "Mon-Mon."
- TRUE. My younger sis' name is Ling-ling.
You call the parents of your friends and your own parents' friends "Tito" and "Tita."
- FALSE. I address my friends' parents as "Ma'am" and "Sir." Some of them who, as I translated it, "Ang mga Pilipino ay naniniwalang lahat ng kapwa Pilipino ay kanilang kamag-anak," call my mom "Auntie."
You have four or five names.
- FALSE.
You greet your elders by touching their hands to your forehead.
- VERY TRUE. Even if I'm mean, I also respect the elders, especially my mom and grandparents.
You always kiss your relatives on the cheek whenever you enter or leave the room.
- FALSE. I'm not fond of beso-beso and I don't know anybody who does this.
You follow your parents' house rules even if you are over 18.
- VERY TRUE. I still even have a curfew whenever I go home.
You live with your parents until and at times even after you're married.
- TRUE. Though right now, I don't have a choice because I work away from home but given the chance that there's a career opportunity in my hometown, I would enjoy living with my family. But my mom has set my expectations that she won't allow me to live with her when I'll get married. No pressure.
You decorate your dining room wall with a picture of the "Last Supper."
- FALSE. Our dining room is so bare.
You keep your furniture wrapped in plastic or covered with blankets.
- FALSE.
You have a piano that no one plays.
- FALSE. First, we couldn't afford a piano. Second, it'll just keep me frustrated. Thanks to these fingers.
You keep a "tabo" in your bathroom.
- TRUE. Bathing wouldn't be enjoyable without that. And so is extreting solid waste.
You use Vicks Vapor rub as an insect repellant.
- FALSE. I use Efficascent Oil. Hahaha. Vicks is anti-inflammatory ointment for me.
You eat with your hands.
- TRUE. Why, does anybody eat with his feet?
You eat more than three times a day.
- TRUE. Very True.
You think a meal is not a meal without rice.
- VERY VERY VERY TRUE.
You think sandwiches are snacks, not meals.
- TRUE!
Your dining table has a merry-go-round (lazy Susan) in the middle.
- TRUE. We didn't intend to have that thing because we don't have a round table. We're just making use of the mechanism that we once used for our television.
You bring baon to work everyday.
- TRUE. But not now. I'm too lazy to prepare my sandwich.
Your pantry is never without Spam, Vienna sausage, corned beef, and sardines.
- FALSE. We don't have a cupboard. We just get whatever we want from our store. My mom doesn't settle for processed food, as much as possible.
You love to eat daing or tuyo.
- Yuck! What's that? Joke. VERY TRUE.
You prop up one knee while eating.
- FALSE. I'm the one who reprimands my older sister whenever she does it.
You eat your meal with patis, toyo, suka, banana catsup, or bagoong.
- TRUE.
Your tablecloths are stained with toyo circles.
- FALSE. We don't have tablecloth.
You love sticky desserts and salty snacks.
- TRUE for sticky desserts but not true for salty snacks.
You eat fried Spam and hot dogs with rice.
- TRUE.
You eat mangoes with rice--with great GUSTO!
- FALSE! Kadiri kaya.
You love "dirty" ice cream.
- TRUE. I even jump like a child whenever I here the sorbetero's bell ringing.
You love to eat, yet often manage to stay slim.
- TRUE. VERY TRUE!
You put hot dogs in your spaghetti.
- VERY TRUE.
Everything you eat is sauted in garlic, onion, and tomatoes.
- FALSE.
You order a "soft drink" instead of soda.
- TRUE.
You get together with family at a cemetery on All Saint's Day to eat, drink, and tell stories by your loved ones' graves.
- FALSE. We go there to pray and recite the "Nobena para sa mga kalag sa kalag sa porgatoryo."
You play cards or mahjong and drink beer at funeral wakes.
- FALSE. I don't usually go to funeral wakes and if I do, I don't play cards nor drink beer. I just eat and eat peanuts.
You think Christmas season begins in October and ends in January.
- FALSE. It starts in September.
Your second piece of luggage is a balikbayan box.
- FALSE. I've never been to any other country.
You've mastered the art of packing a suitcase to double capacity.
- FALSE. I'm not good at that. I let my Ate pack my things for me.
You collect items from airlines, hotels, and restaurants as "souvenirs."
- TRUE. I even collected toothpicks from a restaurant in Cebu. Yikes!
You feel obligated to give pasalubong to all your friends and relatives each time you return from a trip.
- FALSE. A gift is never an obligation. If my finances permit me, why not? If I'm poor, better.
You use paper foot outlines when buying shoes for friends and relatives.
- Partly true. I just have a straw cut in the foot's length.
You're a fashion victim.
- DEFINITELY FALSE! I may not be a fashionista but I'm don't belong to the clan of Batlita.
You can convey 30 messages with your facial expression.
- TRUE.
You hold your palms together in front of you and say "excuse, excuse" when you pass in between people or in front of the TV.
- FALSE. I'm not Ate Guy.
You ask for the bill at a restaurant by making a rectangle in the air.
- TRUE. Hehehe.
You cover your mouth when you laugh.
- FALSE. I couldn't forget when my elementary teacher called me "ugaling skwater" because I don't cover my mouth when I laugh.
You respond to a "Hoy!" or a "Pssst!" in a crowd.
- FALSE. OK, sometimes true.
You'll answer "Malapit lang!" - no matter the distance--when asked how far away a place is located.
- FALSE. But I get that answer most of the time.
Goldilocks is more than a fairy tale character to you.
- TRUE.
You refer to power interruptions as "brownouts."
- TRUE.
You love to use the following acronyms: CR for comfort room, DI for dance
instructor, DOM for dirty old man, TNT for tagu nang tago, KJ for kill joy, KSP for kulang sa pansin, OA for over-acting, TL for true love, BF for boyfriend and GF for girlfriend.
- TRUE. LR for lahi ra.
You say "rubber shoes" instead of sneakers, "ball pen" instead of pen, "stockings" instead of pantyhose, "pampers" instead of diapers, "ref" or prijider" instead of refrigerator, "Colgate" instead of toothpaste, "canteen" instead of cafeteria, and "open" or "close" instead of turn on or turn off (as in the lights).
- TRUE. But I never say colgate for a toothpaste or any brand for a certain thing.
You use an umbrella for shade on hot summer days.
- FALSE. I'm not Silhouette.
You like everything imported or "state- side. "
- FALSE. I value Filipino patriotism.
You love ballroom dancing, bowling, pusoy, mah jong, billiards, and karaoke.
- TRUE for karaoke (only when a few people could hear me).
You have a relative who is a nurse.
- FALSE. Only a friend.
When you're in a restaurant, you wipe your plate and utensils before using them.
- FALSE. But I smell the utensils and my mom often reprimands me.
You can squeeze 15 passengers into your five seater car without a second
thought.
- FALSE. We haven't done it.
You wave a pom-pom on a stick around the food to keep the flies away.
- TRUE. I remember how I would love to watch our store before if I'm the one holding it.
You always ring a doorbell twice, assuming that the first ring was not heard.
- FALSE.
You let the phone ring twice before answering, lest you appear overly eager.
- FALSE.
You use a rock to scrub yourself in the bath or shower.
- FALSE.
My score - 31/66. Not even 50%. Correct me if I'm wrong. Being in a callcenter makes me lose my skill in counting.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Speak your mind.
You need to have a name and an email address or a valid URL so I would approve your comment. I don't respect anonymity.