It's January 2, Monday, back to work and I have realized I ran out of rice, noodles, canned goods and other basic things for myself.
I decided to go to Manggahan Market to buy those. After buying a few kilos of rice, the wet market caught my attention. It's been a while since I haven't been in the fish section and I love this job - checking for the freshest fish, checking the gills, their scales, check if the weighing scale is OK, if the bulb has no red thing on it, etc. - just don't step on my feet and I'm gonna kill you.
Anyway, I've also missed my favorite kinilaw. It's what my mama and lola always ask from me whenever I get home. They say I prepare the best kinilaw for them. Hehehe. What I think is that they only say it so that I could also have a purpose - and I'm doing it for free.
So I bought one-fourth kilo of tuna. It's a lot cheaper than blue marlin.
The biggest challenge for me was not to look for the freshest tuna. Instead, it was looking for tabun-tabon. I don't know it's local term here but it looks like anonas. It's cut in half and its pulp is scraped to minimize the strong taste of the vinegar. It's a lot better than adding mayonnaise.
To make the long story short, I haven't found one. And nobody knows the local term for it. But I'm still able to prepare kinilaw for myself and for my friends. I know it wouldn't be as delicious as it could be but I've tried.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Speak your mind.
You need to have a name and an email address or a valid URL so I would approve your comment. I don't respect anonymity.