Toastmasters. It's an international public speaking club Ian, my bestfriend, had recruited me to join. That was my first time to live in Cebu City for my review classes. As a person who loves fun and co-curricular activities, and sets the main purpose aside, I tried myself with this organization. Besides, it is really my passion to speak infront of a podium, expressing how I feel with the world.
I had delivered this first basic speech (among ten speeches before promoting a plain Toastmaster to Competent Toastmaster then to Advanced Toastmaster) on August 9, 2003, at about 5 p.m. in Baseline Resto in Cebu City. Since one's self is the person one could know best, self-introduction was the topic for the first speech.
With the Hakuna Matata theme that was set, I must say I made a nice first impression on the Queen City Toastmasters that evening. I'm only good at firsts. When my second speech was delivered the following meeting (August 23), I sucked with my poorly prepared piece, being so grilled by Judge "Dread" Navarro, that ended my life as a TM.
Now, I'm attracted to join the club again. This time in eTel. Should I pursue it? Why not. Maybe I have to check my budget again and see what I could do.
Anyway, here was my first speech. I could remember I was in my brown polo and denim jeans at that time. I had to wear something orange-y or brown to jive with the theme or else I'll be paying 20 bucks as a fine for non-compliance.
Thanks to my mentor, Richard Ramos, a famous columnist of The Freeman and a travel book author, who shared his time and talent for me. Meeting him thrice prior this presentation, proofreading my piece, listening to my delivery and criticking some parts, was such a big help for me. Thanks Richard, and sorry for the mess I've made for tainting your good name during my second speech. I was humiliated but it was you who was put more to shame.
About 22 years ago, my father’s quickest sperm cell won the race over the billion others in uniting with my mother’s heavily-guarded ovum. Nine months after, a male Homo sapiens sapiens gasped his first mouthful of oxygen in this planet – and that’s me.
GREETINGS
Honestly, when I first thought of making a speech about myself, I faced many inhibitions. Well, I admit that I’m so narcissistic but I just show my conceit to my friends and to myself. Talking mainly about me, myself and I, specially with some strangers may lead me to being misconstrued of self-promoting or tooting my own horn. But when I realized that this exercise would be the only way to make me leap higher, I have no other choice but to do this.
I was baptized as Edu*rdo Riz*d* C*t*yoc III. I used to hate my name because it sounds so locally made. But later on, I began appreciating it when I knew its meaning. It is Spanish for “a rich guardian”. And when I’m called Ed**rd* III during class role calls, it sounds like a Spanish prince enrolled in my teacher’s subject. My classmates call me Edward while my Biology professor addresses me as Eddie. Some call me Ed while my friends call me Ed**rd*. You could call me in anyway from those I’ve mentioned but I like it most when people call me the way I’m known at home – Third.
My former “friend” describes me as “one of the girls” because I easily mingle with the opposite sex but find it hard to deal with the guys. In fact, in my barkada of 14, 10 are females and only four of us have the XY chromosomes. The reason behind this is that I was raised in a feminine environment – with my mom, two older sisters, my aunt for whom I’m the apple of her eye, a legally acquired younger sister, and even a female dog. I grew up without a father figure because my dad passed away when I was still three. I was raised through women’s ways and strengths that’s why I always raise my hat off to the likes of my mom – the epitome of women empowerment.
Numerology pertaining to my name and birthday states that I’m accident-prone. My family didn’t believe it at first. It’s ordinary for a kid to get injured while playing, right? But as time went by, we’ve observed that I was meeting several cases of accidents. As a preschooler, I fell several times into the drainage and had half of my body soaked with stinky canal waters. (Eww! That was gross!). One time, I almost drowned at the beach. During my early elementary, I was rushed to the hospital twice. First was for a dose of anti-tetanus vaccine for almost experiencing lockjaw due to a dirty nail lodged in my foot. The second time, for having four stitches sewn in my inner cheek and upper left lip for hitting my mouth on the floor. The worst case occurred when I was ten. I was unconscious for three days due to an encounter with a speeding jeepney while I was crossing the highway. Had I died at that time, there wouldn’t be a handsome individual who will share his near-death experience to you. The doctor looks at it as a miracle. We call it a second chance.
Since then, my family was already convinced that I am really accident-prone. They became so overprotective of me that I had to inform them of my whereabouts every now and then. I bid goodbye to playing outdoors and stayed at home instead whenever I didn’t have classes. Later, I realized, I was already too old to learn the basics about basketball, swimming, biking, rollerblading and even climbing a tree. I was too shy to start learning those things at my advanced age. That is why I’ve never appreciated sports.
I consider my personality as a complex one that I myself could not understand. I have shallow dreams and happiness yet I couldn’t fathom the depths of my feelings and thoughts.
I enjoy debating and speaking onstage, yet I find it hard to deal with people. I’m an anti-social being who prefers to sleep at home than go to the discos and parties. I’m a noisy, jolly, warm and funny blabbermouth who can’t hide my jerky motions and loud voice whenever I’m with my friends. But most people consider me as a snob – an uncongenial piece of individual who doesn’t give a damn who he is bumping into. I always see to it that my ideas will win over the others’ during class presentations. But I haven’t won in any individual competition. I always demand perfection from
others but I can’t find excellence in myself. I have a keen eye on people’s mistakes but I live with the principle that I’m not born to please everybody. I want to stay alone listening to music, singing at the top of my voice, sleeping, reading and watching TV, yet I can’t last a day without calling at least one of my friends. People call me weird but my friends call me awesome just because they believe in the maxim “Birds of the same feathers flock together”.
Lastly, my trademark characteristic is my being brutally frank. I oftentimes present truth in a sarcastic and satirical manner that people may either laugh at me in amusement or curse me to death for my unpolished tongue. (Thank goodness I’m still alive). I can’t hide what I feel and think. It’s either I speak up or I make faces.
Funny how it seems! At first, I was expressing how uncomfortable I was when introducing myself. But here am, revealing a big slice of my life in front of you. Well, that’s one of my inconsistencies – pretending to be shy, yet possessing a thick skin. I can’t believe I did it.
Now I can sing “I’ve shared a part of my life…and I did it first with you…”
hi duard! wow.. that was nice.. really.. i didnt know those accidents u suffered when u were a kid.. u were unconscious for three days? as in? wow. u have a mission in this world!!! do u believe that? well, whatever, God is good!
ReplyDeletewow. imagine that...im having a "moment." hehe..wow. im so thankful ur here with us coz ur a great friend, brother, and son.
God bless always. Miss u!