So what's in this movie that consumed a lot of bytes in the cyberspace? I've heard some movie enthusiastic bees buzzing around talking nice (and only nice) things about this flick.
I finally got the chance to watch it last Tuesday and I'd say it's pretty okay. I didn't say it's great. I think it's just fine.
UPPERS
DOWNERS
All in all, the movie has achieved its general purpose - to entertain the viewers. I commend it for having a great cast, especially having Uge in the title role. Going for the Oscars is so ambitious but it is still probable. One thing I've learned after the experience - never to believe in everything these paid entertainment writers and celebrities say in their columns and on TV. I was expecting too much that I went home disappointed.
But then again, compared to other Filipino mainstream and indie movies, "Ang Babae sa Septic Tank" is non-conventional that doesn't revolve around corny love teams, predictable storyline, and nudity hear and there that exclaims SEX right inside your eardrums.
I finally got the chance to watch it last Tuesday and I'd say it's pretty okay. I didn't say it's great. I think it's just fine.
UPPERS
- It's Eugene Domingo! Does it need further explanation?
- JM de Guzman, Kean Cipriano, and new face Carizza Cortez were so into their young-would-be-filmmakers-who-are-hungry-for-an-international-award characters so effortlessly.
- Cameo roles of Cherry Pie Picache and Mercedes Cabral and the frame switch from one actress to another was really funny. The dicussion about changing the actress, then the cast, then the number of kids and the main child made me laugh so hard.
- The Kimi Dora mansion - Although some gigantic photos of Eugene are obviously tarpaulin posters, the English-speaking helpers and the exaggerated richness of the main actress is really hilarious.
- The plot itself is awesome. Changing the attack of the scenes from something straightforward, to too commercialized, to musical is something unique. Plus, it is a satire of the Philippine indie film.
- It's undeniably funny.
- Did I say Mercedes Cabral is so hot?
DOWNERS
- While it really is funny, I thought it lacks a solid storyline. Where was the introduction, the complication, the climax, the conclusion? I mean, yes, those elements were present but there wasn't any clear-cut emphasis on those things.
- The lyrics in the musical were intellectually put together but I think that portion, especially the neighborhood dance number, was kind of dragging. I believe that it could have been better performed live on stage instead of being stuck on the two-dimensional silverscreen.
- The opening was way too dragging. Yes, it's an exaggeration of independent films, but, I didn't like it. It ate up a lot of time.
- I find the septic tank part too forced just to stand by the title. And it looks more of a sewage tank. I also don't understand why the character has to do that scene when it was not clearly discussed when the actress and filmmakers talked about it.
All in all, the movie has achieved its general purpose - to entertain the viewers. I commend it for having a great cast, especially having Uge in the title role. Going for the Oscars is so ambitious but it is still probable. One thing I've learned after the experience - never to believe in everything these paid entertainment writers and celebrities say in their columns and on TV. I was expecting too much that I went home disappointed.
But then again, compared to other Filipino mainstream and indie movies, "Ang Babae sa Septic Tank" is non-conventional that doesn't revolve around corny love teams, predictable storyline, and nudity hear and there that exclaims SEX right inside your eardrums.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Speak your mind.
You need to have a name and an email address or a valid URL so I would approve your comment. I don't respect anonymity.