Friday, July 12

Year of the Wrath

2011 wasn't a good year for me. No. That's an understatement. Year 2011 was a baaaaaaaad year for me, when I felt I was so down, when I felt I lost my magic, when I felt I shouldn't have existed.

I lost my job, had chicken pox (my gosh my skin), been a bum for more than six months, had my heart broken twice, lost my self-esteem. It's the year I don't like.

But then again, since the year is a four, it should have balanced everything (talk about numerology). Therefore, I should be thankful for the things that happened in this not so awful year.

  • January 1 - Celebrated New Year's Day with my family. How could this be not an awesome day?

  • January 5 - Went to Camiguin for the nth time! What could be more exciting than to spend the entire day at the beach, getting tanned, and having a great rest?

  • April 30 - I placed second runner-up in the Toastmasters International District 75 (National) Humorous speech contest, not to mention the championship trophies that I received during the area and division contests. In the area level, I swept all three categories - evaluation, impromptu and humorous, contributing three medals out of five to our club, making us the most number of medals earned in the entire division.

  • May 14-31 - Stayed in Davao with my sister. It was my first long trip with my three kids without their Lola. Of course, it's extra challenging to be with them as we were along the road but it was a good vacation for them.

  • July 9 - I was seated as the President of Camanava Brunch Toastmasters Club where I delivered my 20-minute keynote speech, narrating my inspiring stories in TM and challenging my members to be at their best. I think it was a well-crafted speech that I was overwhelmed with the standing ovation that I received after I delivered it. Achi Ida even said I'm a young Steve Jobs in public speaking. It was an overstatement but I was flattered to hear that.

  • August 31 - Finally, after a long wait, of being choosy, of being disqualified from the applications, from bumhood, I got hired - as an engineer. Trend Micro is such a great company to work in, with supportive people, extra-challenging training, and newly found friends. I fell in love, got broken, but now I'm okay... I think. But I still have a job and that's important.

  • October 22 - It's my second time to be back in Boracay, not as a vacationer, but as a delegate to the Toastmasters Midyear Conference, where I represented our Division, not as a humorous speaker this time, but as a serious and credible speech evaluator. I didn't place but it was a good opportunity for me to show my sensible and analytical side.


I am looking forward to a better 2012 where I can be stronger and where I could finally find my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind.

You need to have a name and an email address or a valid URL so I would approve your comment. I don't respect anonymity.