About seven years ago, this college female friend presented to me her proposal that I didn't accept. Honestly, it caught me off-guard the first time I heard it from her. I didn't know what to say. I wasn't even sure how to react to it. But knowing her comic style, I didn't take it seriously. Do you want to know what kind of proposal is that? It's more serious than business. Closer to marriage proposal but it's somewhat funny - a back-up plan. She wanted to get married to me by the time she'll be 30 and both of us are still single.
I took it as a joke but with her constant reminder even when we talk it over the phone or through chat, I felt that she's getting more serious. Though she keeps on telling her friends that getting married to me is incestuous, I still think that there's a fine grain of truth in her joke and seriously, it's making me scared.
A couple of years ago, I told my Mom about it. And even my sister. Ate Doreen didn't react but my Mom, as expected, took it negatively. Perhaps it's because she was NEVER behind any ideas that I presented (and that made me realize why I feel I can't be a successful salesman) or maybe she thought it was a silly thing to do, or probably she's just my antagonist who wants to go the other way.
The scary part is, she is already 30 and we are still both legally single. I fully remember how her boyfriend reacted so violently when I told him (through SMS) to marry her because she might go for me in the end. I wanted to pressure him but apparently, they don't have plans of getting married yet. Or never. I just learned from her a week ago that her feelings have started to drift from him. As you know, my feelings for Cris is growing and I want to keep on cultivating it, I just don't know how.
This evening, I had a conversation with some friends and one of them is her brother. As I was talking about Cris, he just asked me "Why not Manang (Ate)?" and it made everybody laugh. Honestly, I really couldn't imagine this friend to be my lifetime partner. I mean she's undeniably intelligent, she's caring, she's kind of OC, resourceful, and she knows a lot of things. It's just that she's not really my type. We're both Virgos and our personalities clash. We're both perfectionists, too opinionated and we are not expressive when it comes to love. We are also opposites in such a manner that we keep on arguing. She keeps on nagging at my being a tornado (while cleaning my clutter). She points out my smelly body and feet which makes her sound like my older sister and I couldn't help but pay attention to her legs that are full of scars (Ha ha ha! Bad). She teases me for my vanity while I criticize her for her lackness from sense of style. She chastises me for investing on things that won't give me a clear-cut return on investment (i.e. voice lessons, Toastmasters) while I tell her that all her businesses never prospered. She makes fun of my scoliotic figure while I always tell her to lose weight. In short, seeing us together is a total riot. We are too noisy (in a very irritating way) that sometimes I choose to get inside my room and plug my ears while she keeps on talking. The only rest we have is when we're on cold war until one finally gives up and patch things up. And the cycle goes on and on.
I think that the back-up plan is silly but practical. But then again, I still want to get married to the girl I love and not to the one who I think could just give me security. But then again, I don't know what's in store for me, for us. One day, I might see myself receiving her hand and kissing her lips at the altar infront of some people we both treasure. But as of this time, that thought makes my face look like I have diarrhea.
I took it as a joke but with her constant reminder even when we talk it over the phone or through chat, I felt that she's getting more serious. Though she keeps on telling her friends that getting married to me is incestuous, I still think that there's a fine grain of truth in her joke and seriously, it's making me scared.
A couple of years ago, I told my Mom about it. And even my sister. Ate Doreen didn't react but my Mom, as expected, took it negatively. Perhaps it's because she was NEVER behind any ideas that I presented (and that made me realize why I feel I can't be a successful salesman) or maybe she thought it was a silly thing to do, or probably she's just my antagonist who wants to go the other way.
The scary part is, she is already 30 and we are still both legally single. I fully remember how her boyfriend reacted so violently when I told him (through SMS) to marry her because she might go for me in the end. I wanted to pressure him but apparently, they don't have plans of getting married yet. Or never. I just learned from her a week ago that her feelings have started to drift from him. As you know, my feelings for Cris is growing and I want to keep on cultivating it, I just don't know how.
This evening, I had a conversation with some friends and one of them is her brother. As I was talking about Cris, he just asked me "Why not Manang (Ate)?" and it made everybody laugh. Honestly, I really couldn't imagine this friend to be my lifetime partner. I mean she's undeniably intelligent, she's caring, she's kind of OC, resourceful, and she knows a lot of things. It's just that she's not really my type. We're both Virgos and our personalities clash. We're both perfectionists, too opinionated and we are not expressive when it comes to love. We are also opposites in such a manner that we keep on arguing. She keeps on nagging at my being a tornado (while cleaning my clutter). She points out my smelly body and feet which makes her sound like my older sister and I couldn't help but pay attention to her legs that are full of scars (Ha ha ha! Bad). She teases me for my vanity while I criticize her for her lackness from sense of style. She chastises me for investing on things that won't give me a clear-cut return on investment (i.e. voice lessons, Toastmasters) while I tell her that all her businesses never prospered. She makes fun of my scoliotic figure while I always tell her to lose weight. In short, seeing us together is a total riot. We are too noisy (in a very irritating way) that sometimes I choose to get inside my room and plug my ears while she keeps on talking. The only rest we have is when we're on cold war until one finally gives up and patch things up. And the cycle goes on and on.
I think that the back-up plan is silly but practical. But then again, I still want to get married to the girl I love and not to the one who I think could just give me security. But then again, I don't know what's in store for me, for us. One day, I might see myself receiving her hand and kissing her lips at the altar infront of some people we both treasure. But as of this time, that thought makes my face look like I have diarrhea.
Hahaha!I think I have an idea who this person is.Honestly my cousin and I, when we talk about stuff like marriage and having kids, I always say I'd rather be with someone I can get along with and work with. Someone who will be more or less cooperative but not spineless. We even talked about who to have babies with and we kinda differed on opinions.lol!
ReplyDeleteBut to get back on your "dilemma" I think if you keep on acting like it was all a joke for you, she might just give up on the idea. And maybe she might also take a hint especially on the fact that you have kinda a thing for this girl which you want to take seriously. Besides, marriage is a really serious thing despite the divorce and annulment and "open-mindedness" of Filipinos especially our generation. Just be strong..lol!Be true!hehehe!
Jo you don't have any idea. You already know who she is. Ha ha ha! What's scary is that even her officemates tease her to me and whenever I go to their house, people say it's like I'm meeting the parents. Ha ha!
ReplyDelete